General project research and notes
- Need to make a folded tesselation for the motor project.(2nd attempt)
- Map out some folds on illustrator with cuts
- Play around with other folds to gather ideas for other centrepiece chandalier’s.
- Folding thin sheet metal. (Sheet Metal folding process) (for furniture ideas)
- Experiment with coloured paper
- Cutting patterns out of singular sheets of paper to create droppable lampshades . – http://www.origamitessellations.com
https://youtu.be/ShvQYLXCjos architectural origami lecture – Tomohiro Tachi
Would be something different for me to test apart from the paper tesselations and would be collapsible as well as being organic.
- What if i can mix the tesselation pattern with that of an expanding paper structure (spiral)
- Miura-ori fold
- Origamizer- Tomohiro Tachi
Go with the idea of a vertically collapsible chandalier for my second big piece.
Buy a big sheet of tyvek to make the Miura-ori fold for the frame (collaboration project)
Hang up the sculptural piece i made last week , in the dark space and test out the with focused LED.
I have tried to fold the clear cellulose acetate as a test with no success currently , which is due to the material being too brittle and snapping once scored which Is a process I need to do in order to have clear lines that will provide the correct folding structure. I have also tried just simply fold the material in half and applying pressure with my hands on the crease without using any scoring tools, and that’s enough to break the material and so ultimately there is no point continuing with this material for my geometric folding experiments.
I’ve ordered 2 polypropylene sheets (black/frost) to play around with in terms of folding and lighting potential.
I’ve managed to grab a sheet of translucent polypropylene from Martin, so that I can test some smaller forms. I’ve had to use a craft knife on its reverse side in order to score the required lines to fold the tough material. It was a physical struggle to force the material into such a complex shape, and the amount of folds were putting a lot of stress upon the material with the fibres currently visible on the crease lines. To remedy this, I can potentially use a laser cutter to etch the scoring lines in order to make it easier to fold, and to achieve a cleaner finish. The final form in plastic has different material characteristics and loses some of what makes it useful when constructed in paper such as its flexibility and collapsibility, and so its folded form and construction method is the only resemblance. I can’t really dictate the shape of the form in the same way, but that does not mean that interesting sculptural forms cannot be built, and increasing the scale of these forms could work wonders as a translucent lighting sculpture (large tubes or tunnels). The material’s core strength means that the lampshades could be freestanding, and I could possibly use rivets to connect multiple pieces together. With the material not being that sustainable, I could use it on a smaller scale, through its use in my small interior models as ‘previews’ of larger work, without having to use it now in a larger quantity.
- I am looking forward to trying out the black sheet that I have ordered, because it will most likely provide a greater spacial contrast if I start cutting into sections and have lighting gradually moving vertically, very much like the idea behind the first chandelier.
- Go and get some TYVEK From textiles
- make a small herringbone fold using the poly propylene. 16 x 16 cm
- Test polypropylene with laser cutting (etching folding lines)
- Find more sustainable alternative to polyprop sheet? Polyethylene?
- Map out the fold i sketched onto illustrator (at home) to figure out cut locations for laser cutting.
Here’s images of the black polypropylene sheet i folded with great difficulty!
Yesterday i folded a piece of poly prop into a more complex fold that included a lot more crease lines. It was a very physical and lengthy task, and ended up with the fold splitting at one crease because of the amount of stress place on it because I had to force the material into shape in which I had to fold both sides of the sheet to accomplish this.
I got a hold of some TYVEK from Maggie down in textiles, but its more of a fabric than the paper i tested with, and so I will try some tests to see if it can maintain its shape when being folded into a tessellation. I’ve just folded a 10 x 10 cm square and in my opinion it’s not going to work as part of the kinetic sculpture as it is deforming even with the slightest movement, but that may be due to it being a small piece consisted of two folds and so I’ll have to test it out on a bigger sheet with smaller folds to see how it reacts.
Having folded a bigger piece, there’s nice flexibility when moving the piece as a whole, but again once you start lifting certain sections it starts to deform relatively easily due to its inability to hold its shape.
Have been thinking more about my tubular lighting structure and have been trying to develop an idea of having the ‘figure of 8’ tube forced into a twisted position while being suspended with wires. It will have two LED running through each tunnel running in sequence heading in opposite directions. The reasoning behind placing the structure in a twisted position is due to the idea of having geometrical cuts running through the tube and thus allowing the light to cast a moving shadow across a space. Here’s some images showing the testing I have been doing with cutting arrangements for the structure in order to create various lighting effects in the space. These will be laser cut as they are very intricate patterns that would take a lot of time to cut by hand, and I want to explore and develop other ideas for the exhibition.
Here’s a small model that showcases the form I am looking at producing at an extended scale ( ‘S’ shape, figure of 8)